Thursday 27 February 2014

A little taste of Ivorian Zouglou


Zouglou is a musical style that emerged from Ivory Coast in the 1990s in the context of political
liberalization, [...] and served as a platform for criticism of prevailing social and political conditions (Schumann, 2009). It is characterized by its humorous and satirical style and its use of nouchi, a popular Ivorian slang spoken on the streets of Abidjan. Over the years, Zouglou artists have denounced multiple problems in Ivorian society ranging from promiscuousness to politics.

1er Gaou is a song released in 1999 by the famous Ivorian group Magic System. It has gone on to top several international charts and has propulsed Magic System to international superstardom. The song tells the story of a young man and his relationship woes with his girlfriend Antou. I have translated the lyrics for your enjoyment. I hope you enjoy the song as much as I do. À consommer sans modération!


C'est dans ma galère que la go
Antou m'a quitté oh ah
{x4}

I was broke when my girl “Antou” left me (oh ah) (x4)


Quand j'avais un peu
Matin midi soir
On été ensemble
A la rue Princesse
Aux mille maquis
Santos payait les poulets
L'argent est fini
Antou a changé de côté
Wari ban nan
Elle a changé de copain

When I had a little bit (of money) Day in, day out we'd be together at the “Rue Princesse” (Very busy nightlife district in Abidjan) at the Mille Maquis (popular bar) with my buddy Santos buying chicken. As soon as the money was finished Antou switched sides Wari Ban Nan (Phrase in ivorian dialect meaning “She went for another guy”) She switched boyfriends


Nan guin nan wan, nan guin nan wan
Nan guin nan wan, nan guin nan wan

nan Guin Nan Wan, Nan Guin Nan Wan (Ivorian Dialect meaning “She's crazy”)
nan Guin Nan Wan, Nan Guin Nan Wan

Dieu merci pour moi je savais chanter un peu
J'ai fait ma cassette oh on me voit à la télé
Matin midi soir c'est moi je chante à la radio
Antou a vu çà elle dit le gaou a percé
Attends je vais partir le couper

Thank God I knew how to sing (a little bit)
I released a tape and all of a sudden I'm on TV
Everyday you hear me on the radio
Antou saw this and told herself “Look that sucker made it”
“Wait, let's go break him”


{Refrain:}
Et on dit premier gaou n'est pas gaou oh
C'est deuxième gaou qui est niata oh ah
Et on dit premier gaou n'est pas gaou oh
C'est deuxième gaou qui est niata oh ah

{Chorus}
But they say that if you've been fooled once you're not really a fool
It's when you've been fooled twice that you're a complete idiot 
And they say that if you've been fooled once you're not really a fool
It's when you've been fooled twice that you're a complete idiot 
(i.e fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me)

Dimanche matin koko on frappe à ma porte
A ma grande surprise c'est la go Antou je vois
On s embrasse j'ai dit y'a longtemps qu'on c'est plus revu
Elle veut me mentir Elle dit chéri j'avais voyagé
Je suis de retour
Je t'appartiens
Prends-moi cadeau, fais ce que tu veux

One day as I was leaving, “knock knock” someone was at my door
To my surprise I see my (ex) girl Antou
I feigned surprise and I said “It's been a while since we've seen each other”
She tries to lie to me and says she was out of the country
Now she's back, and tells me that she's mine
She's my gift, and I can do with her as I please.

{au Refrain}
{Chorus}

J'ai dit chéri koko qu'est ce que tu veux manger
Sans même hésiter Elle me dit poulet braisé

So I said, “honey (darling) what would you like to eat?”
Without the slightest hesitation she says “Grilled Chicken”

J'ai dit chéri koko c'est poulet tu veux manger
Poulet est trop petit çà peut pas te rassasier
C'est caïman braisé, je vais te donner
Kedjenou d'éléphant, tu vas manger

I said, “Honey, is it really chicken that you want? You know chickens are too small,
they can't possibly satisfy your greed.
I think you really need a grilled crocodile instead.
I can also give you some Elephant Kedjenou (Ivorian meat sauce) if you wish”

Nan guin nan wan, nan guin nan wan

Elle est fâché Elle dit elle s'en va à la maison
Si elle va à la maison population va me tuer
Je lui ai demandé pardon, elle a accepté
A un moment donné, elle a tout gâté
Elle est quitté dans poulet, elle s'en va dans aloco
Si c'est aloco c'est pas compliqué
C'est plantation de bananes
Tu vas griller
Au lieu de fourchette,
Ca peut pas bien piquer
C'est avec râteau, tu vas manger

She got upset and said she's going home,
If she goes home, she'd kill me with her gossip
I asked her to forgive me, and she said ok
Later on, she ruined everything
She changed her mind and went from chicken to Alloco (fried plantain)
Then I said getting it's not complicated to get Alloco at all,
All you need to do is fry (grill) a plantain plantation
Also, I can't give you a forkto use because that can't pick anything
Instead I'll give you a rake because it's more effective.

Nan guin nan wan, nan guin nan wan
Nan guin nan wan, nan guin nan wan

{au Refrain}
{Chorus}

No comments:

Post a Comment